Happy New Year and thank you for reading my blog! I hope you consistently find things here to read, ponder, share and discuss.
I’ve already collected a good group of potential reads from various ‘best of 2020’ lists. But I also looked at last year’s running list, and there’s so much there I still want to read including Blitzed: Drugs in the Third Reich and Slave Day… Another one on the list, Badass Habits by Jen Sincero is my first read of the year, along with Don’t Turn Around by Jessica Barry which looks like a harrowing thriller.
Here are the first few, with handy links this time. What grabs you?
These two were recommended in Essence magazine.
- Party of Two by Jasmine Guillory – This is apparently part of a series and sounds like a fun romance. If like it I’ll be compelled to go back and read the series from the start 🙂 https://www.penguinrandomhouse.com/books/622535/party-of-two-by-jasmine-guillory/
- When No One is Watching by Alyssa Cole – This sounds like a smart thriller / mystery with something to say. https://www.harpercollins.com/products/when-no-one-is-watching-alyssa-cole?variant=32129854701602
Here are some recs from Esquire magazine:
- My Dark Vanessa by Kate Elizabeth Russell – Sounds intense. (Jan. 28 update: I just picked this up from the library!) https://www.harpercollins.com/products/my-dark-vanessa-kate-elizabeth-russell?variant=32126599266338
- Leave The World Behind by Rumaan Alam – This is on just about every list out there! https://www.harpercollins.com/products/leave-the-world-behind-rumaan-alam?variant=32123411365922
- Luster by Raven Leilani – Race, class, sex. https://www.penguinrandomhouse.ca/books/653295/luster-by-raven-leilani/9780385696005
- These Truths: A History of the United States by Jill Lepore – Updated American history. (Jan. 28 update: Um, I put this on hold, picked it up, realized it was 900 pages, and I turned it back in. I can’t read a 900 page book right now.) https://wwnorton.com/books/9780393357424
- Concussion by Jeanne Marie Laskas – This was made into a movie, didn’t see it. https://www.penguinrandomhouse.com/books/249784/concussion-by-jeanne-marie-laskas/
- The Sympathizer by Viet Thanh Nguyen – 2016 Pulitzer winner! https://groveatlantic.com/book/the-sympathizer/
- The VBA Book of Color in Design edited by Tim Travis. Found this in Interior Design‘s Books column. I’m not a designer (except of my life) but I love design, design thinking, color. VBA stands for London’s Victoria & Albert Museum and the book is chock full of artifacts https://thamesandhudson.com/the-va-book-of-colour-in-design-9780500480274#gallery
It’s January 28th and I’m back with more book titles I’ve collected here and there. I’m trying to keep track of where I hear about each book, it’s interesting to me anyway, not sure about anyone else?
That being said, this first book / author was on a scrap of paper with no other info.
- The Highway by C.J. Box. This inspired the new tv series Big Sky (I’ve seen the commercials but not the show itself. It reminded me of Big Little Lies only ABC not HBO. So, upon googling for a link I found out Box won an Edgar Award for an earlier book called Blue Heaven. So now I want to try that one first. https://www.cjbox.net/the-highway
This book rec came from a past issue of UF’s J-school magazine, Orange and Blue http://www.oandbmagazine.com/
- The Five Second Rule by Mel Robbins sounds like something I’d read. The five seconds refer to a time to push yourself. It reminds me of Urban Meyer’s mantra when he was the Gator’s coach. All he wanted each play was “Four to six seconds of relentless effort.” I’ll check out the TED Talk first. https://www.simonandschuster.com/books/The-5-Second-Rule/Mel-Robbins/9781682612385
Do you like Coffee table books? Do you like dogs? Get Resident Dogs: Incredible Homes and the Dogs That Live There. https://residentdog.net/book
Here’s one from the Washington Post:
- The Other Black Girl by Zakiya Dalila Harris. WaPo said it’s a “A thrilling, edgier Devil Wears Prada that explores privilege and racism.” . https://www.simonandschuster.com/books/The-Other-Black-Girl/Zakiya-Dalila-Harris/9781982160135